Monday, July 27, 2015

Monkey's Sunday Coat

Well, I did it! I sewed a coat! Actually, it's a lined blazer, but it'll work perfectly as a dressy fall coat for Monkey, who outgrew her last coat. I worked so hard on this coat. It's not perfect, but I love it!
For a pattern, I used the Phresh Blazer, by Winter Wear Designs, but took a few different steps to line the body of it completely. For the outer, I used a lovely grey stretch suiting.

 Monkey really hates seams and has sensory issues, so I topstitched like crazy to keep seams flat, and lined it with two types of knit. The back is a grey medium weight knit, but to add a little something, I used some of my coveted waffle knit that I've been hoarding for the lining in the front.
I love how this blazer looks, with all the pieces that are stitched together. It's a lot of work, especially if you're lining the whole thing, but for a dressy piece it's so worth it.
Despite the how tricky this fabric was to topstitch, especially when I was topstitching through both layers, I'm pretty proud of it, even if it's not as precise as I'd like it.


 Who knows, I might stitch up another one to sell? Now that I've got one behind me, the next one won't be as time consuming.
With this done, I think it's time to start on Honey's school wardrobe. I know it's still July, but having a handmade wardrobe takes time... a lot of it. So, if you pop in here some time in the next week or so, you'll be finding a post (or two) about planning and sewing a lot of little girl clothes.
Feel free to tell me what you think and thanks for stopping in!


No comments:

Post a Comment